Saturday, February 1, 2014

Learning needleturn

Every year I like to set myself a new challenge. Last year it was to learn paper piecing and this year it's to learn needleturn. So what better way to learn this than to sign up for a BOM that is all done by needleturn.

A Merry Christmas garden is designed by Gail Pan, I am just getting the patterns and have bought a lovely range of Christmas fat quarters to use.

Here is block one all prepped ready to go. As you can see I have already done the star and the quarter circle, but watching online tutorials I discovered basting glue, that you stick the fabric on with tiny dots of glue that wash out. So much easier than pins. Let's see how I go with the rest of this block.

I have also (almos) completed my second custom order from etsy. This owl quilt is the fourth one I have made now, just need to stitch the binding down and it's off to far North Queensland, the lucky baby that will receive this quilt is due on Feb 18th. I quilted this in a variegated thread, it's adds a nice dimension to the quilting.

On the injury front, my swelling has not gone down yet, and now all of the bruising has come out so it looks worse than it did before. Throbs like mad by the end of the day, so I am trying to keep it elevated as much as I can, and am also wearing a surgical support on the calf, which is where the torn tendon is. Back to office based duties at work on Monday, it's been nice having the past week at home, lots of sewing time.

Well, I better pick up that owl quilt and get the binding sewn so I can post It on Monday

 

13 comments:

  1. Your needle turn looks great and I love that owl quilt it is super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The owl quilt is super cute, as always. There are so many methods to do applique. I did my butterfly quilt with freezer paper ironed to the RIGHT side of the fabric, needleturned, then peeled off. I have some of the nice glue here too and that way also works well. Today I did machine blanket stitch on my mug rug for the Melbourne trip. I just choose by whatever mood I am in at the time LOL. It's all fun. xx debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. The owl quilt is just darling Sue - your customer will love it I'm sure!
    You take care of your leg now, no trying to do too much... and good luck with learning the needleturn, another string to your already very accomplished bow! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you will enjoy needle turn, something to do in front of the TV and nice to be working towards a lovely Christmas project now, so it will be finished in plenty of time! Love the owls, dont think you could ever get sick of such cuties and we had the real deal come for a visit today, still perching in a tree in our front yard, a young Boobook Owl I think. Hope the leg continues to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely owl quilt. Good luck with needle turn. That block has lots on it. Looking good so far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish you good luck learning the new-to-you technique... and on a wonderful project. The owl quilt looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your block is looking good. Love the owl quilt. Hugs, xx.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this Gail Pan design and the owl quilt is delightful

    ReplyDelete
  9. REST that leg .. the last thing you want is a DVT in there!! I love your owl quilt .. good luck with the needle turn xx will be watching for progress .. at least you can do that sat down xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have been busy Sue. Good luck with the needleturn. I have had a couple of goes at it but still prefer other methods. Lovely owl quilt. Hugs......

    ReplyDelete
  11. lovely choice of project to learn needleturn.... and I love your owl quilt... back to work and I hope yu can keep your leg up there...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  12. I use freezer paper but iron on the back of the fabric. Then I can use the edge of the paper when turning. I have tried it like your block but never can get the hang of it. I am looking forward to see your finished block. As the owner of your "chicken" quilt I am sure your. "Owl" quilt will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm trying this too Sue - on an Anni Downs wall hanging. I must say I'm finding it a challenge and haven't quite got the hang of stars (it all adds to the uniqueness) but I'm going to try and find some basting glue that might help.
    Hope your legs soon mended ♥

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are warmly welcomed. Every comment is read however sometimes life gets busy and I may not be able to reply to all comments although I do try to.