Monday, December 30, 2013

Christmas sewing and planning 2014

Do you like the new 2014 look for my blog?

I tend to change it every year, for a fresh look each time. This year I have tried to make it less busy.
So did you all have a lovely Christmas? Mine was crazy, full of food and family with us hosting 33 people for tea on Christmas Day, 12 of them under the age of 10.

So now the dust has settled time to get organised for my 2014 sewing projects, this year as always I plan to focus on some BOM's and have already begun working on some.
Christmas Eve saw me doing some Christmas stitchery.


These bells are part of a red work Christmas design that I started in 2012, the pattern is by teddlywinks.

I have managed to get one more row done in the row along cotton reels.  I am aiming for the houses next as they sit above the cotton reels, I like to join the rows on as I do them so the quilt grows 'row by row".


I have also completed May of the year of blooms BOM, and am now about to start June ( it's drawn up ready to go). I liked doing this one as my birthday is in May.


And last Friday ( sewing with friends) I put the borders on my first Floral sampler wall hanging.

Tonight I started quilting this, and chose an "invisible" thread for the backing thread as I have backed it is cream homespun. I have done about half of one block, but my eyes tire. It's not easy quilting with black thread on black fabric under artificial light.

I have gone around the ditch of the design and then shadow quilted it several times, and then filled in the large space with small stipple.


It took awhile to get the tension right, as you can see on the reverse.

I have promised myself that no new quilts until one UFO is complete, and I have two new BOM's starting in January so that's going to be real self control. 

As well as this, I bought this lovely stack of fabric at the quilt fair, and have a design in mine with the creamy solid. The light does not do it justice, but it's like a bowl of raspberries and chocolate yummy.


HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL
May 2014 be fabulous for you
And your fabric stash grows,
your UFO pile shrinks
and your bobbins never run out.





10 comments:

  1. Love your new look Sue...
    Boy you sure have been getting organised for 2014.. Working on lots of lovely projects there.. love the bells and your rows..

    ReplyDelete
  2. A be-lated Merry Christmas to you & Happy New Year!
    Sounds like you had a busy holiday.
    I love the new blog look and your projects.
    I am happy to say I finally found a book with red stitchery work! Yea!
    Blessings to you & yours~
    Lori USA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow your were busy...we had 16 for Christmas Eve...but no little ones--- the youngest is 12 and the other 5 are in their teens!

    Your projects and quilting are wonderful!

    Happy New Year, Sue!

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh, you are nice and organised - I am still working through my list - love that floral sampler wall hanging!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I wish you all the luck you need to complete your mission...
    Lots of great projects on the go so I look forward to seeing finished quilts in 2014. Happy New Year Sue... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year to you too Sue, I love the new look and I'm looking forward in seeing what you create in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy new year. The progress may be slow, but at least you can report some! Love seeing all your lovely projects.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you using a monofilament thread? Bernina machines seem to hate that. I could never get the tension right without it slipping and stretching.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely post full of lovely stitching ...
    Happy new year ...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are warmly welcomed. Every comment is read however sometimes life gets busy and I may not be able to reply to all comments although I do try to.