This is a BIG finish for me, as its been on my UFO pile for over two years.
I started this quilts journey in May 2011 when I began sewing coloured strips together. Later these were cut into 8 inch blocks on the diagonal. When building the blocks I started with a scrappy triangle, the kind that is cut off when making flying geese blocks, goodness knows I have a huge stack of them too. ( I cant seem to throw any little scrap away).
Part way through the block construction I started randomly adding in some selvidges, just to add a bit of whimsical interest. I love the names of some of the fabric ranges, and the little prints can be so cute. ( yep, I save them too).
As the quilt evolved I joined the 8 inch squares into blocks of 4 to create a diamond effect. As my strip scrap pile grew every so often I would make a batch of blocks, then one day I realised I had more than enough to put them together in a quilt.
I decided to quilt this in a circle effect, but its actually a spiral, starting from the centre of where four different coloured blocks join and I just went round and round until I got to the edges. the circles are reasonably even on the outer edges as you can see in the photo below, but in the centre of the spirals they start out much closer together, like a spring.
I also decided on a scrappy binding joining some strips together end to end. So in reality this has been a very inexpensive quilt to make with it being purely from my scrap basket. I