Sunday, October 27, 2013

Trapunto tutorial

Before I try any new skill I read up on it on blogs, and watch some you tube videos. This was how I found about an easy and effective way to achieve a great trapunto result which I am going to share with you all here.

The K is for Kai pillow is the first item I have ever made using Trapunto, so I am writing this tutorial as we make my second one for my other great niece Giaane.


An easy way to do the initials is on your computer, just find a font you like 
and enlarge it and print out a BIG copy of it.

Trace this onto visolfex, but remember to have it back to front so it is the right was around when you appliqué it onto the pillow. Use a light box if you have one.


Do the same with any flowers, or birds, or butterflies, or what ever shapes you want to display on your pillow.  Cut out your shapes ready to iron onto your backing fabric.  I am making mine with a 14 inch square of white tone on tone fabric.

Before you iron on any of the designs, fold your backing fabric into quarters and lightly press to mark the centre.  Then iron on your letter or what ever centre design you are using


Then add the rest of your design. I used this opportunity to play with some shapes on my go baby.
Its a great way to use up lots of little scraps.


Sit the finished design onto a piece of wadding and pin in place. Now carefully stitch on the raw edge of all of the appliqué shapes. Do this on ALL of the applique, even the birds wings, and flower centres, you don't want them falling off.

Hint: use a slightly darker thread in your bobbin to make it easier to see the stitching lines on the back when you have to trim it.



Once this is done, flip the fabric over and trim the wadding away, very carefully as you do not want to cut through your fabric.

see how easily the stitching shows up with a taupe coloured thread in my bobbin, I used pale pink for the top stitching, as I have decided to use this colour for the free motion quilting a little later on.



Now flip it back over and pin a second piece of wadding onto the back and free motion quilt around the shapes again, this will raise your appliqué to make it stand out.

Once you have done this, fill in the white space with any free motion quilting design. Generally a more heavier quilting gives a better result, but it chose to do this one lighter than I did with the K cushion.


I added a flange style border to this pillow
G is for Giaan


8 comments:

  1. thankyou Sue this is awesome,love it and thankyou for sharing.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous Sue, thanks for sharing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's lovely Sue. Thanks for showing us how.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love those cushions you are making....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  5. G is for gorgeous! You make it look so easy, definitely going to give it a go, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I agree with Sue. I love your pillow
    Hugs
    donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very, very pretty pillows and your tutorial is so thorough and easy to follow. Love your free motion design with the hearts! You're "sew" talented. Thanks for sharing!
    Mary
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    USA

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are warmly welcomed. Every comment is read however sometimes life gets busy and I may not be able to reply to all comments although I do try to.