Saturday, May 11, 2013

Feathers and a mini finish

Last night I sewed along with friends on the Friday night with friends face book page, and the task I set for myself was to quilt my pin wheel lap quilt.

I decided as this was a little quilt it was time to be adventurous and experiment.

So…….. I bravely tried my first ever feathers, completely by free motion, with out first drawing a pattern.  Here is one of  the first four stemming up from the centre to the inner border.

IMG_0009 I did a daisy centre, so decided to do a similar pattern on each of the corners.

IMG_0010I then did daisy petals on each of the eight triangles that made up the pinwheels, and I have to say that I am not all that happy with these.  I should have just shadow quilted the triangles.  Then I finished off with a large stipple on the purple peeper border and outer border.

Here it is over the arm of my sofa waiting for me to hand stitch the binding tonight.

IMG_0015 This afternoon I had a spare hour up my sleeve so I decided to make a little purse to hold all of my business cards that I am accumulating.

I received this pattern from a swap partner some time ago and made one which I have since gifted.  I had some odd scraps of Saffron Craig birds left over from some bags that I made, perfect for fussy cutting the little purse.

IMG_0020  This pattern was so quick and easy to make ( less than half hour) so I think I will make a few as tuck in gifts with swaps.  Its a great way to use up scraps in a useful way.IMG_0019

5 comments:

  1. I love your free motion quilting, such lovely feathers. The little purse is very sweet and looks like a great design with two pockets. I have one with a single pocket and all the loyalty cards, library cards, etc live in it in my handbag so I am sure that they will be well received by friends...such cute bird fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done with the feathers.... aren't they such fun to do? and your quilt is stunning ... love those little purses... I have the pattern and must do a few up too!
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've done a great job with the quilting Sue. Lovely little purse too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your FMQ is gorgeous, Sue. I love your feathers. You inspire me to have another go at it. The little business card purse is very cute. x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the quilting on your quilt, Sue...very impressive! And what a great way to keep business cards, love it!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are warmly welcomed. Every comment is read however sometimes life gets busy and I may not be able to reply to all comments although I do try to.