Sunday, March 10, 2013

Let’s get stitched Adelaide

IMG_0024

Is where I have been for the last three days. (warning long post). Before the weekend we were all posted a pack of pink circles to turn into a flower broach so we could all recognise each other – very important for those flying in.

This was my first time at a Quilting retreat, and walking up to a group of ladies that I had never met before was a little daunting, but everyone was so welcoming and warm I instantly felt part of the group.  I had only ever met some of the ladies online via their blogs but most of them I didn’t know at all.

I got to meet a wonderful bunch of ladies from every corner of Australia.  Some had travelled from Far North Queensland, Northern Territory, Western Australia and Tasmania, with a lot driving from country Victoria and New South Wales.  I on the other hand had to travel less than 5 kilometres from home.

Friday was a fun filled bus tour stopping into some of Adelaide’s quilting shops with lunch at Historic Hahndorf in the Adelaide Hills. Here we are in Hettie’s Patch – our first stop and one of my favourite quilting shops.  I for one spent more than I had planned, but that’s always the way in quilting shops.

IMG_0005  IMG_0006

After a full day on the bus we were back to the resort to rest up for Friday night games and pizza, a few of the girls had games in the playground on the bouncing pillow. IMG_0007 There were lots of giggles and prizes on games night, and I was lucky enough to win a lovely quilting book.

We learnt that Wendy B could touch her nose with her tongue, here she is having a good laugh about her talented tongue.

IMG_0009

Saturday was a do your own thing day, and I did have to go to work for the morning but spent a lovely afternoon stitching with some of the ladies in their cabin. Then Saturday night it was out on the town for dinner at the Watermark Hotel in Glenelg.  This photos is not the whole group – we were waiting for everyone to arrive to go in to dinner as a group.

IMG_0014

Then today was the stitching Day….. and WOW, what an amazing day it was.

Look at what greeted us when we walked in the door.

IMG_0016 Tables all set up with lovely gift bags for our places. But we were not allowed to open them until everyone had arrived.  In our bags was a mug rug made for each of us by the host designers, and we got everyone attending to sign the back as a momento of our trip, mine is the first pic in this post.

IMG_0015 IMG_0017There were tables with goodies to buy, like this one of our lovely designers Joy, of Joy patch.

In no time at all everyone got stuck into their projects, there were 5 patterns in the bags with a charm pack, as well as other goodies such as a pair of needlework scissors, Jams, lollies, and other goodies.

IMG_0019

IMG_0021 

Here are some of our lovely designers, left to right,

Joy, Fee, Dawn and Vicki

IMG_0022

And here are the patterns they designed for us, there were also two guest designers, Wendy and Judy.

IMG_0028

Lots of raffle draws and prizes, I never win ANYTHING , but this weekend I scooped the pool, just take a look.  Two quilting books and a lovely Fig Tree Jelly roll.

IMG_0026 I did manage to get some stitching done, and started the project designed by Fee, the sewing caddy as I really could do with one of those.  And I had a lesson in needle turn appliqué with Joy, she showed us a really clever and easy method.

Now I need to make a little something with my first needle turn heart.

IMG_0027  So now I am home, with lots of new projects to work on until we meet again next year at Lets get stitched Melbourne.

15 comments:

  1. Sounds like you all had a great time. I think I might just have to pencil the Melbourne in the diary. hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see you had a lovely time! I'm not green of envy, not at all! No, not me.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you are having so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like this was a lovely get together. How nice for you to meet so many new quilting friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like lots of fun was had by all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such fun Sue, great to put faces to names now too...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great weekend. Hopefully I can make it to the Melbourne one next year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds wonderful, what could be better craft and good company. I would love to attend the Melbourne one .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah yes - what a FABULOUS weekend we had!!! I was glad I actually woke up this morning with a VOICE!!!! Lol! ... It was SOOO wonderful to finally meet you - and see your sewing in action! :) Always love to see what you've been up to, and so to see you in action was great!! *Hugs* Hope to see you again in Melbourne next year!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a wonderful weekend Sue! I saw Debbie, a fellow Qld blogger in one of your photos...she was just so excited about the weekend at our recent bloggers' meet :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like everyone had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun filled retreat.. I bet this is not the last one you are going on Sue...

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was such a wonderful time and it was so lovely to meet you. Hugs, Fee x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sue it was so lovely to meet you and to have the opportunity to sit and sew with you not once, but twice, and also to see your gorgeous show and tell on Saturday. Hoping to see you next year.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are warmly welcomed. Every comment is read however sometimes life gets busy and I may not be able to reply to all comments although I do try to.