Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Checkered Chickens

I have been motoring my way through the blocks and tonight I sashed them all together.  Thank you for all your feedback, I a pleased that I decided to sash them.

Take a look ....


I guess now looking at it, the chickens stand out better on the check than they do on the chicken print, so if I were going to do another I would have all check backgrounds.  You also cant tell, but the chicken coop is a chicken wire print, and there are little chickens on the fabric in the doorway.

Now the next bit of advise from my design team please. 

Do I need another border ?  I was thinking of one maybe 4 inches in the red and white gingham check that I have used on the chickens crowns.  DH - my chief designer says no, he likes it like it is.

So while I settle down to do the stitchery on the banner (it says chicken coop), I will wait to see what you all think.  I think I will be backing this in a check fabric too.

I made it to spotlight today and picked up a few meters of batting, so now I can get all my flimsy's put together and quilted over my Christmas break.  I think I have about 4 to do.   EEEKK.  

And as you may have guessed, I have named the quilt checkered chickens.

14 comments:

  1. This quilt looks so lovely.
    Liebe Grüße Grit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Checkered Checkerboard Chickens look great and I agree with your chief designer. Nice as is and use the Gigham check for the binding..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria, thats what I think I will do

      Delete
  3. The quilt looks awesome. Love your chiks. Yes, I would add another border and the white and red check will be a great choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa, I think I have decided to leave it like it is.

      Delete
  4. I like it as it is...but depends on how big you want it to be I guess, hard to tell is it lap size or do you intend it to be a wall hanging?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, Its actually a reasonable size already for a lap quilt but it could be a wall hanging, but I would not use it for that.

      Delete
  5. I like the quilt the way it is but would also like to see what it would look like with the red check around it. As Sue said, it depends what size you want it finished. Hugs.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Noela, I like it the way it is, I now think that another border might make it look too busy, so I will use the check for sashing.

      Delete
  6. I think another border would look good but I would choose a blue fabric with a medium to large print to balance out all the small checks. Having said that I like it as it is as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki, I had not thought of blue on a border, but I have decided that I like it as is, and another check border might make it too busy

      Delete
  7. It depends on whether it needs to be bigger. If its as big as you need it to be I would just use the fabric as the binding. Visually I think it works as is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, thats what I think to now I look at it again, so I will leave it as is, and bind it in the small red checks.

      Delete

Your comments are warmly welcomed. Every comment is read however sometimes life gets busy and I may not be able to reply to all comments although I do try to.