Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Tuesdays treasures - buttons

I am linking up with Melody for the return of Tuesday treasures.  As Melody has been away sick for a few weeks, it so nice to have her back.  Why not pay her a visit HERE

I love old buttons.

Buttons remind me of my childhood days when I used to love sorting through my mum or my Nana's button tins.  Why is it that old buttons always seemed to be kept in old cigarette tins, or biscuit tins.

I have a few old buttons, still in their yellowed plastic cylinders.


But I keep most of my buttons in this big spaghetti jar.
If I am ever throwing away old clothes I always cut off the buttons, even on my hubby's business shirts, you just never know when you will need them, and this is where they go, until I need to do more sorting that is.  


But the buttons that I use every day are in my old Tupperware sewing box, all sorted into colours.  These are eyes for softies, decorations on bookmarks, or buttons on the back of cushions.


I love the idea of finding a set of old medicine bottles or jars and sorting all of my buttons in them by colour to display.  Any ideas on where I can find these?  I have looked in a few bric a brac stores but no luck as yet.

Lucky Lucky me, arriving home from work today to find a surprise squish, and all wrapped up in brown paper that turns out to be old sewing patterns


Look at the special treasures inside - one of Fiona's darling needle holders with such a cute bunny stitchery.


And YAY buttons.  This was a thank you from Fiona as i sent her some Japanese fabrics from my stash for the Japanese themed quilt she is making.  Fiona asked me if I would like some fabric in return and I told her about my love of old buttons.  How cool is it that they arrived in time for my Tuesday treasure button post !!


There was also this oh so cute Owl scissor or mobile phone charm included in the parcel, isnt he a darling.  Thank you sooooo much Fiona.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful button collection. Fiona is such a sweetie.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are warmly welcomed. Every comment is read however sometimes life gets busy and I may not be able to reply to all comments although I do try to.