Sunday, April 8, 2012

Some simple sewing

I hope everyone is having a lovely Easter break, I certainly have been.

Friday was a busy family day but I did manage to get a little bit of sewing done.  Yesterday DH and I travelled with some friends to the Oakbank Easter races (horse), its a picnic day starting with a 5am wake up to get up to the track for a cooked breakfast at 7am in the picnic area.  DH and I have been joining the same friends at Oakbank for 20 years, and in that time have only missed two meetings.

Then last night, straight from the picnic day we went to AAMI stadium to watch our football team the Adelaide Crows take on the Western Bulldogs from Melbourne.  I am pleased to say that the Adelaide Crows won. (YAY), by the time we got home it was almost 11pm, so I simply fell into bed.

So today was a sleep in, I didn't get out of bed till 10am, enjoying coffee in bed and finishing a book that I was reading, (Michael Caines autobiography). Now I am spending the remainder of the day doing what I love best.
On Friday I made two more blocks for my Sampler jelly roll quilt in the French General range and plan to make one or two more of these today.



I also picked up on a project I started 12 months or more ago, making blocks from my scraps of strips
Here is the hugs pile of scraps I have to use up


 I have sewn them together in strips and press them, and then trim them to 8 inch blocks.  Initially I made the blocks as straight strips, but seeing similar quilts on other ladies blogs I decided I preferred the look of the strips being on the angle.


Here are the few blocks that I had made the first time I started this project, and I am sure you will agree with me that the blocks with the strips on the angle will be more interesting in a quilt

Now I only need to decide if each completed block will be made up of four smaller blocks all in different colours like the one below.


Or if i join them together in similar colourways like the example below.  I look forward to your thoughts on this.


Lastly, but certainly not least, I made a simple Blanket of Love quilt to send to Cheryll in NSW.  Read all about this worthy cause on Cheryls Blog dedicated to this cause HERE . This was an easy quilt made up of scrpas left over from some babies quilts I had made for family and friends. The back of the quilt is in brushed cotton and for a moment I didnt think I had enough, (as I ran out of the yellow).
Front of quilt

Back of quilt


3 comments:

  1. You seem to have had a wonderful time.
    Love your Jelly roll blocks and the stripy blocks are wonderful. They are a great way to use all our scraps.
    Last but not least, your Blanket of Love is really beautiful, love the colors.
    Hugs,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of a Jelly Roll sampler quilt... is a specific pattern Sue? As for the scraps... you will get so much out of all those - I can't believe how far my little box of strips has gone... I couldn't decide on the colours... either mixed or the same will be lovely - just different... you might have enough to do both!!
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great tradition, 20 years is fantastic to keep it going for so long most people would of dropped out by now. Gorgeous sewing. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are warmly welcomed. Every comment is read however sometimes life gets busy and I may not be able to reply to all comments although I do try to.