Thursday, March 22, 2012

TUTORIAL - Framed square novelty blocks, Mitchells quilt

I have started making Mitchell a similar quilt to Leo, but using only a layer cake and thought I would share this as a tutorial in case my friends would like to make a quick and easy quilts for one of their little ones (or big ones )

1. Choose your layer cake. I chose 10 little things by Jenn Ski

2. Pre cut your inner triangles by cutting a 3 1/2 inch strip into 3 1/2 inch squares


3.Then cut them into half square triangles ( I cut 4 layers at once to speed this up)


4.Sort them into piles and set aside


6. Now cut the outer triangles by cutting the layer cake into 8 sections
4 x 5 inch squares (layer cakes are 10 inches square)
then cut these into half square triangles


7. Sort them into piles and set aside


8. Cut the centre squares, I fussy cut these (as best I could) to utilise the prints.
The Squares are 4 1/2 inches x 4 1/2 inches


9. Sew on small half square triangle to opposite sides of the square


10. press them open with seams outwards


11. Sew on the other 2 smaller triangles and trim the dog ears and square up the block


12. The block should measure 6 inches square



12. Repeat this process with the four larger triangles.
The trimmed completed square should measure 9 1/4 inches.  


13. Make as many as these as you need. 


I am using 24 blocks in each quilt, so am getting 2 quilts out of one layer cake
(plus sashing and border fabric)

I am about to order some fabric online, and when it arrives will post stage 2 of the tutorial
Completing the quilt top

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Sue... I love these blocks on point.... I'll have to come back to this sometime...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sue great tutorial and what a great way to make a cute quilt.....

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are warmly welcomed. Every comment is read however sometimes life gets busy and I may not be able to reply to all comments although I do try to.