Sunday, March 4, 2012

Gotta get a move on

My  least favourite part of making a quilt is the pinning, but with my MIL's 70th birthday drawing close the pressure is on to get her Butterscotch and roses jelly roll sampler quilt finished.

Today I made the quilt sandwich and I have just finished pinning it all together, here it is laid out on the dining table getting it ready - lucky I have a large dining table, I cant imagine how back breaking this would be to have to do it on the floor.


I chose a lovely soft butterscotch coloured backing fabric from my stash, this one is part of the thimbleberry's range.  I always rummage around my LPS's clearance bin and manage to pick up nice backing pieces such as this - at half the price of normal yardage.
Here it is pinned ready to go, I actually ran out of pins on this quilt, could have done with a few more.  Note to self, pick up more quilting pins next time I am in spotlight.

MIL's 70th is on St Patricks day which is only two weekends away, hence the hurry on.  The theme for her party is to wear green, which meant I had to go shopping.  I have a couple of casual green tee shirts, but nothing to wear to a party. 

I found this lovely green top and silk scarf.
perfect :)


 I have indulged in quite a bit of sewing this weekend, and have to confess the ironing has not been done.  I have made block one of my new BOM pond house.
  Here is the completed block pinned on my design wall, its quite long so it was hard to get the whole block in the photo
 Close up of the centre heart, I over stitched the seams on the heart in a decorative stitch.
 The birdies still have to have beaks and feet embroidered on, and the eye buttons will go on after quilting.
 You can see block one in the picture of the whole quilt, it looks tiny, but this is a large queen sized bed quilt when its completed.  I think it may have to go to a long arm quilter when its all done. Block 2 is the house in the centre, and block 3 is the sun flowers either side.

6 comments:

  1. Lots of fabulous sewing. Lucky MIL, her present is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilt for your MIL looks gorgeous, and will be absolutely perfect once quilted!! Wow! You've really gotten a lot done this last week in regards to your sewing!! ... Your new BOM looks fantastic, and that first block is so sweet!! What a great next project to work on after finishing the Carousel and this one for your MIL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very lucky MIL I'm sure that she is going to love it, and wow so much sewing good on you the ironing can always wait.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely quilt for your MIL...I can just taste the butterscotch...wish my lQS had a remnant bin.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty quilt for your MIL and lovely outfit for the party. Loving the new BOM. That is going to be gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the quilt for your MIL... I pin on a table too... much better for knees and backs!! Your new project is stunning... going to be such fun.
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are warmly welcomed. Every comment is read however sometimes life gets busy and I may not be able to reply to all comments although I do try to.