Monday, September 12, 2011

Tuesday Treasures (oops, posted on Monday).

IRONING...

How we all hate it, but just imagine what it would have been like for the ladies that had to use these


I have four old Irons in my collection, and I use the heavy ones for door stops when I want to hold a door open to let in the fresh air. 

This one is the largest and heaviest in my collection, and sometime in the past it had been painted orange, and then gloss black.  Its a solid piece of iron and quite heavy.


 This is the smallest one, and the lift lids for you to pop hot coals inside.  The handle is wooden, and there is a cute chick on the lever that turns to open the lid.

This is also quite a heavy one, the handle looks as though it may have been replaced at some stage as it does not seem to be as old as the iron itself

Hop on over to visit Melody and her friends here to see what other treasures are being shared this week

8 comments:

  1. Oh my... I remember my Granny using one like the second picture... it sat on the wood stove to get hot..... I guess that ages me!!!
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted one of these old irons. Yours are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are lovely treasures but I am sure glad I do not have to use one lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We sure do get it easy these days don't we. Your irons are wonderful. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, wow! I just love these. And you have four! *grin* What a great collection, Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so glad that I don't have to iron with those! great as doorstops but I think I'd be burning myself a lot using those.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just think of all the sooty marks they would leave on the clean washing, I'm glad of our modern cons, I just had to buy a new iron today, the range of styles was mind boggling. Thanks for showing your great collection. cheers R.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your irons are amazing, they sure are a treasure!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are warmly welcomed. Every comment is read however sometimes life gets busy and I may not be able to reply to all comments although I do try to.