Tuesday, August 16, 2011

TUESDAYS TREASURES

I am beginning to realise why this is called Tuesdays treasures,
The more I look the more I find
these items are simple, not valuable in the dollar sense  but mean the world to me

They are basic sherry glassess that belonged to my grand mother - or Nanny as I used to call her.
Nanny was quite a character and worked for many years as a cook on shearing stations in the north of South Australia.  Most of these places were quite remote in the Northern Flinders ranges and we never had the chance to visit them.  But one school holidays I can remember staying in the shearers quarters at a place called Booborowie, just north of the Clare Valley - a beautiful wine region of South Australia. 
 We had fun watching the shearers, rounding up sheep with the dog - my sister and I sitting in the back of the ute with mesh on our faces to keep out the red dust.

 Nanny gave me these sherry glasses just a few weeks before she passed away, and its the only thing I still have that belonged to her - so they are truly a treasure to me.


Melody hosts Tuesday treasures, take a look here to see who else is playing .

5 comments:

  1. I what beautiful treasures. I think the memories you hold are the best :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful glasses.... I love the old fashioned idea of a glass of sherry before dinner in the evening..... and those would be perfect to toast the end of the day...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Rochelle - the glasses are lovely but the memories are priceless treasures. Thanks so much for sharing this story with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful glasses Sue and such special memories attached to them...They must have been special to your Nan too as lovely things weren't as easy to come by then as they are today. Great Treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Sue,

    Oh you have some beautiful sherry glasses there. I hope you are using them. Isn't it great the different memories that we associate with everyday items.
    Have a great day.
    Bev.xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are warmly welcomed. Every comment is read however sometimes life gets busy and I may not be able to reply to all comments although I do try to.