Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Tuesday Treasures

A few weeks ago I shared with you the sherry glasses that belonged to my Nanny. (Dads mum)

This week I am sharing a tea spoon that belonged to my Granny (mum's mum).  Granny passed away when I was about 15 and I had not seen her since we left England when I was 5.  So my memories of Granny are quite fuzzy.  I do remember that she loved to bake and always had a treat like jam tarts to eat when we came to visit.  I also remember she had an octagonal window in her entry passage with a vase of plastic daffodils in the window.  Isn't it funny the little things like that you remember.  Poppy grew tomatoes in a glass house in the back yard, and I can still remember the smell of that greenhouse, a cross between rotting compost and home grown tomatoes.  Granny and Pop lived in Stratford Upon Avon, which is where William Shakespeare came from. 

Granny loved to drink tea, and she gave my mum a brass tea spoon for her tea caddy.  The tea spoon is a souvenir from a holiday in Devonshire, a seaside spot where you could ride a donkey on the beach.



Several years ago mum gave me the tea spoon as a memento of Gran. Its made of brass and is quite heavy.  The detail on the donkey is quite good.  I still use the tea spoon in my tea caddy, and when I do it always reminds me of Gran and her jam tarts.

Hop on over to visit Melody and her friends here to see what other treasures are being shared this week

7 comments:

  1. what lovely memories for you Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous post, so evocatively written. I could almost smell the inside of the glasshouse.
    Your donkey spoon is one of the loveliest treasures I've seen. Brings back fabulous memories for me too. I lived in England until I was 6 and went on donkey rides at the seaside when on holidays. Thanks so much for playing along today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your brass spoon is so sweet...he/she is such a lovely donkey. It's wonderful to have such a memory from your Gran. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Donkey spoon is such a treasure Sue, a family heirloom that could be passed down for centuries. What lovely memories you have of your Grandparents.cheers R.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely story and an adorable donkey , what a special treasure to remind you of your Grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely spoon and real treasure. it's a piece of your family and of your life. Our memories and small mementos are the greatest treasure we can have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the teaspoon and the story that goes with it! That is a cute little donkey. Haven't ever seen a spoon like that. I am a new follower, found you at Tuesday Treasures. Nice to meet you.
    xo
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are warmly welcomed. Every comment is read however sometimes life gets busy and I may not be able to reply to all comments although I do try to.