Thursday, September 2, 2010

The quillting journey

After my chicken quilt was completed I was very ambitious and signed up for the Leanne's House BOM after seeing it on display at my LQS.  I was not prepared for the amount of hand stitching involved, but have to say I enjoyed the journey so much and all the pretty flowers that I made a second one.  As so much time and effort was spent on these quilts I paid to have them professionally quilted.  I gave this second quilt as a gift to my step daughter Jessica when she married Daniel in May 2008.  In the centre panel I replaced the verse with their names and wedding date and a scripture from a reading at their wedding:  Love is kind.  I must sneak a photo of that quilt next time I visit them and pop that on this post.  This one hangs on my bedroom wall.

I also purchased a quilting theme calendar to hang in my sewing room and was taken by the design of a quilt featured in that calendar.  With no pattern I guessed measurements and made The Blues.  I still love the look of the quilt, as blue and white are one of my fav colour combinations, but I cringe when I look at the standard of quilting on the quilt.  Having said that it does take turns on my bed when I am having a blue mood.  If you look close enough you can see a few odd bits or red or green left overs from my Rooster quilt as I still had quite a limited fabric stash at this point in time.

Oscars quilt (Mother Goose Nursery Rhymes) was all hand appliqued for a girlfriend Gill on the birth of her first son.  His brother Oliver was born a few years later and I also hand appliqued the quilt Bears in Heaven  kit.

2 comments:

  1. love the leannes house BOM - well done for finishing it! i am still working my way through her butterfly garden BOM stitching it all by hand....i will get it finished one day! also love 'the blues' worked out by eye - gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog Sue. I look forward to watching it grow! LOVE following fellow swappers! Well done!
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are warmly welcomed. Every comment is read however sometimes life gets busy and I may not be able to reply to all comments although I do try to.