Thursday, September 2, 2010

Busy in 2008

The quilting journey was really beginning to take hold and be addictive.  I saw Rachel Dennery's Nostalgia in Australian Patchwork and Quilting magazine and just had to make it, so armed with magazine in tow paid a visit to Hettie's Patch (Port Road - Hindmarsh) as they have a fabulous range of shabby chic style of fabrics.  The lovely Lorraine helped me co -ordinate the fabric for the quilt and I happily left the shop.  I found out that the name of the shop came from her dog "Hettie" and the shop has a resident cat.
Investing quite a bit of money in the fabric I was determined to get it "perfect" and I have to say the Seminole border was a challenge and a half.  I unpicked it more times than I care to remember.  But I am very pleased with the finished result and it has adorned my bed ever since. 

Whilst this was all going on I went with a friend to a hanging of the quilts display in the Adelaide Hills and saw some fabulous locally made quilts.  One of which that caught my eye was "Forever Friends".  I spoke to the lady that was holding the display to find out where I could get the pattern.  It was by "little blokes" in Bendigo, so I googled them, found their website and promptly ordered the pattern.

This was a work in progress for about 6 months, and I bought the bits of fabric from here and there as I went along.  All of the gollies and details are hand appliqued.  When it was done I had it professionally custom quilted as a reward for the time and effort I had put into the quilt. I have never put a hanging sleeve on it, and sadly I keep it locked away in my linen press to display one day.  I do take it out to admire it  a few times a year.  One of my promises to myself is to get this on a wall somewhere sometime (soon).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are warmly welcomed. Every comment is read however sometimes life gets busy and I may not be able to reply to all comments although I do try to.